SRC Postgraduate Activity

26 November, 2004 at 23:30 Leave a comment

Click
for a fresher page. Formatting may be dodgy till about weekends
when the HTML is cleaned. Hopefully…



12th December 2004
Notes and Minutes from
the Student Representative Council (SRC) Postgraduate
Voiceboard/Committee1

Meeting
(Friday 3rd
December 2004 at 12:00 in Williams Room, John McIntyre Building)


SUMMARY

To be frank, there were primarily 5 BIG issues that we idenitified at
the end of the meeting – Communication,
Information, Funding, Support and Infrastructure – CIFIS
(or
rather, inadequatic and lack thereof). We believe that the meeting was
a fruitful one and had to end after 3.5 hours only because of pending
commitments of the students rather than running out of enlisting of
problems and ideas. In this day and age, having a CIFIS scarcity in a
University of such
reputation and which we are all proud of at some level, is indeed sad
and as anyone would acknowledge, are at the root of every other problem
that we have been able to thrash out. Inspite of the meeting being
attended by a minority (13 out of 3800+ students with CIFIS again being
cited as the main excuse) of PG students, we are confident that what we
have identified herewith is an accurate indicator of the kind of
problems
that all PG students in all faculties/departments/schools face. Smaller
numbers does not mean the issues are ignorable. And, absence of
evidence
does not imply evidence of absence. In an interconnected society as the
one we are living in, if an individual has a problem, the community has
a problem.
           
    The reader also needs to be aware that although the
minutes might give the impression that the meeting was kinda like a
complaints bulletin-board and rants from rebel PG students, it is
significantly further away from it. We as PG students do realize that
complaining has its limitations (as per
everybody-complains-doesnt-matter-since-none-listen principle) and
think that we students have the
ideas and the intellectual means to solve the plaguing problems which
are making the
University “experience” sour and bitter for many PG students. So much
so that we are
willing to dedicate as much time as we can afford to solve them as
long as the University acknowledges that there are problems and is
willing to provide us with timely help and resources.
           
    We truly believe that the way to go ahead is to
appreciate one another (students vis-a-vis University) and solve
problems together in a mutually inclusive fashion (as per
it-takes-2-to-tango principle). What we mean to say is that unless
PG students come out of their shells and closed boxes and inertia and
make an
effort (however
small like typing an email) to atleast voice their concerns (doing
their bit)
and the University
does not take up a minimum responsibility to listen and provide help
(doing its bit), everything will be in a state of loopy deadlock
diluting the reputation
of our University and our own degrees in the long term and a general
sense of gloom, desperation, loneliness and apathy over the short-term
which is
quite pervasive to various degrees even right now among many PG
students.
           
    To summarize this summary in typical style, all we
have to say is
that if PGs spending 1 to 3 years of ones life in a University have
only a degree to show for it with no exciting and memorable
life-changing friendships and experiences then it is simply not a very
good way of going
about things and value planning for the future – both for the students
and the
University at large.
           
    Sorry to sound so negative but on the bright side,
we should thank the University, the SRC and
importantly, all the people who took the time to get involved and get
this meeting off the ground. It has been time well spent because it has
provided us all with a platform, a direction and an opportunity to take
the first baby-steps towards identifying, addressing and solving the
CIFIS issues and make our University truly friendly and world-class for
PG
education. Lets get started…


ACTION ITEMS

  • Submit a report to SRC and SRC Education Committee
  • Report to the Directors of Schools as per Vice Principal
    Dr.Morris’ Suggestion
  • Email Storage Problem
  • PG Microsite Design, Consensus and Homework
  • Library Opening Hours during Vacations

PRIORITY LIST (merged
lists; in no particualar order; please
see count/comments in brackets)

  • Communication, Communication,
    Communication
    (9 – all in attendance)
  • PG Microsite (within
    University domain like http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate)
  • EMail (more storage,
    better migration, comprehensible names for ID’s instead of
    matriculation numbers, University/Faculty/Department wide PG mailing
    lists)
  • Induction and Training
    (at different times of the entire duration of course and also
    distributed over the academic year mixed with students from other
    faculties
  • Attending Classes Outwith Ones
    Faculty
    (for example Level-3-Statistics for an Education PhD
    student)
  • University Wide Consensus for
    Funding and Encouragement to attend Conferences and Workshops

    (this is currently very skewed in favour of sciences)
  • Transparency (information
    like notes/minutes of
    PG related discussions at various meetings across the University)
  • Inputs from PGs Regarding the
    New Building
    (some attendees were not even aware of it including
    SRC representatives and we felt that we need to have a say in the
    design of this new building)
  • Funding (international
    students have no support whatsoever from the University in terms of
    information; is distribution possible rather than some people having
    everything and some having nothing?)
  • Visibility and Noticeboards
    (right now, PG notices are all mixed up in the noise and hence there is
    a need for a locked notice-board space in departments)
  • Guides and Books to Make the
    Most of
    PG Experience
    (again, communication)
  • IT Support (many students
    have laptops and need software to be installed on them; also wireless
    access has to be improved across campus)
  • Nursery (an easier and
    bigger one to encourage young married people to come here rather than
    go to some other place)
  • SRC PG Student Advisory
    (PG students have nowhere to go when they need a helpful ear and just
    want to talk)
  • Newsletter for PG Students
    (many felt that University media should cater to PG Students like
    having a fixed column space in Guardian and/or Newsletter etc. or even
    a
    digital space)
  • Intra-University Activities
    (seminars, round-robin talks, sports, informal gatherings, poster
    sessions)
  • Supervisor/Advisor Guidelines
    and Quality Assurance Policy with Training to Staff
    (code of
    practice and other things)
  • Library (holiday issues
    since PG students do not have any holidays and also extend opening
    hours of levels wherever possible)
  • Better Support for International
    Students
    (accomodation, information, transportation, pick-up
    from airports)
  • Re-evaluate if Value-for-Money
    Holds True
    (attraction of Glasgow has been lesser fees but now
    that it no longer holds, it is imperative that teaching and support and
    quality improve on par)
  • PG Club Improvements
    (needs an overhaul of management and provide space/opportunities
    without alcohol with minimum sanitation for tee-totallers and
    non-smokers)
  • PG Union and PG Society
    (there is no union or society where PG can meet and talk and discuss on
    a common platform)
  • Alumni Liasion (useful
    not only for University but also for students in these
    desperate-for-jobs times)
  • Buddy Scheme for International
    Students
    (worth an experimental try)
  • Language Provision (many
    were concerned about lowering the bar for entry requirements and later
    on failing students)

KEYWORDS
(words that kept
flying around)

Communication, Information, Funding, Support, Infrastructure, CIFIS,
Fast-Cash, Intertia, Networking, Alumni, Social Events, Academic
Events, Attending Inter-Department Courses, Representation,
Activities, Supervisors, Advisors, Delays, Value-for-Money, Website,
Emails, Wireless, Library, Training, Induction, IT-Support, Software,
Matching Expectations, Cafe Scientifique, First Impressions,
Conferences, Posters, Seminars, Workshops, Forum, Mailing Lists ,
Community, Sharing, Friendship, Helpfulness, Quality Assurance, Filing
and Teaching Space, Guidelines, Transparency, Blue Skies…


RECOMMENDED READING/FOLLOW-UP

  • Communication Received from Vice Principal Dr.Morris to SRC
  • “Future Shape of the University” Document
  • “Blue Skies Thinking” Discussions
  • “Postgraduate Education in the UK” – Times Higher Education
    Supplement (Nov 10, 2004)

FULL MINUTES

Present: Srikant Jakilinki (Computing; SRC
PG Convenor; Chair), Sarah Gurney (MRC Social & Public Health
Sciences
unit; SRC Ordinary PG Rep; Minutes), Kris Jurgens (Art History; SRC
Ordinary
PG Rep; Refreshments, Communication), HongHong Chen (Law, SRC Ordinary
PG Rep; Communication, Posters), Jetta McGill
(Medicine), Andrew Smith (Politics), Rebecca Smith-Mancy (Education),
Gregor Maxwell (Education), Mona El Sawaf (Education), Tiggy Grills
(Veterinary Medicine), Ruth Irwin (Education), John Andrew Murray
(SRC President), John Anderson (SRC VP-Education), Jim Ewing (NPC).

In Attendance:
Dr.Vassiliki (Director – Arts Faculty).

Apologies:
National Postgraduate Committee (NPC) Rep, Postgraduate Club
President.

  1. Welcome & Introductions

  2. Postgraduate issues within the
    Faculty of Education:

    1. Communication. There is a major
      problem with communication both between faculties, between departments
      and even within departments. This problem exists not only between staff
      and students but also between students themselves.

    2. Creation of an Arts Graduate School.
      Some Education students recently received a letter informing them of
      the forthcoming creation of an Arts Graduate School, inviting them to a
      meeting about it. Not all students received this letter and the
      majority of students who did receive it had never heard of the
      possibility of a Graduate School before. As this issue effects students
      from a number of faculties the issues raised are outlined in a separate
      section below.

    3. Transparency. There is a lack of
      transparency and democracy within the faculty. Following on from this
      the faculty has no form of staff-student committee and there is no
      student representation on any decision making bodies.

    4. PG Advisor/Convenor. There is a lack
      of awareness of the Postgraduate Convenor/Advisor within the
      faculty/individual departments. Do they have one? Who is it? What is
      their role? There is little/no communication between this person (if
      they exist!) and students.

    5. Induction programme. The students
      present were not aware if there was a formal induction programme within
      the faculty. There appears to be huge differences in quality and
      quantity of induction and training between faculties.

    6. Teaching/tutoring. There is no
      teaching or tutoring opportunities for postgraduates within the faculty.

    7. Funding.
      There is a lack of transparency regarding postgraduate funding. For
      example, PGR students receive £500 for conferences for their
      entire period of study. PGT receive nothing.

  3. Medicine and
    Veterinary Medicine:

    1. Poster Session. The student
      representatives from these faculties organised a hugely successful
      poster session where students could share posters of their current
      research. Over 100 students attended.

    2. Communication.
      The representatives have been working on increasing communication
      between students and the department. For example, they have produced an
      information sheet for students when they arrive in the faculty
      containing information regarding student services such as the
      Postgraduate Club and the SRC. They have also been organising social
      events in order to develop the postgraduate student community, to a
      mixed response.

  4. Postgraduate
    Issues in the Faculty of Arts:

    1. Graduate School. Concerns/interest
      regarding the graduate building was raised, particularly regarding the
      provision of office space.

    2. Small departments. The issue of very
      small departments was raised. In the case of departments with only two
      or three members of staff it is very difficult for students to raise
      concerns regarding their supervisors for fear of retribution. It is
      also near impossible for students to change their supervisor as there
      is no one to change to.

    3. Questions were asked regarding supervisors
      training
      – ie: do they have any?

    4. E-mail
      storage.
      The current university system only provides 2mg for
      students. This is often insufficient, especially for PG students
      needing to send chapters and abstracts containing graphs, diagrams etc.
      Although it may be possible for students to increase their storage
      space through talking to their supervisor or computer services this is
      pretty ad-hoc at the moment.

      1. ACTION:
        John Andrew Murray to raise this issue with the director of computer
        services

  5. Postgraduate
    Issues in Computing:

    1. Communication. As seems to be the
      case across the university, communication within the departments,
      between staff and students and between students is poor.

    2. There is a
      current lack of space for students to share their research.

  6. 1st
    year Masters Experience:

    1. The women’s toilets in the library
      are generally in a bad condition, particularly on the upper levels.

    2. Level 6 in the library has particularly bad
      lighting
      that needs to be turned on every 20 minutes.

    3. Issues regarding international student’s
      fees
      were made.

    4. Sometimes it is felt that taught
      postgraduate students are not given much respect. For example,
      lab technicians will turn up late on a regular basis.

    5. There doesn’t appear to be any central
      information
      source in the university. A central notice-board and
      internet bulletin board were suggested.

    6. Library opening hours are too short.
      (John Andrew Murray informed the group that the reason the library
      couldn’t open 24 hours is due to lack of air conditioning making the
      concrete in the library crack. When the library is eventually fully air
      conditioned there will be a possibility of it opening 24 hours).

    7. There is a lack of alcohol free space
      on campus.

    8. Many students take masters degrees as free
      standing qualifications
      , whereas many staff continue to treat them
      as necessarily leading onto a PhD.

    9. Due to the high levels of fees paid at
      masters level students do not always feel like they are getting value
      for money
      .

    10. The varying
      level of English
      spoken by some international students was raised.
      This is particularly difficult in interactive classes. Issues were
      raised regarding examination standards abroad and the level of language
      support provided to postgraduate students in Glasgow, particularly
      regarding discipline specific language (eg: law, medicine etc). There
      is currently language support available for undergraduate students but
      not for postgraduates.

  7. 1st
    year PhD experience:

    1. Matriculation. PGR students did not
      matriculate until Thursday 30th September 04, despite
      Freshers week being between 14th-17th September
      and the social science induction programme running between 20th-23rd
      September. This left new students with a considerable amount of time
      without access to university facilities such as the library and
      computers and also evening access to the Unions if they didn’t buy a
      freshers pass.

    2. University
      Halls of Residence.
      Kelvinhaugh Gate, the postgraduate and mature
      students halls, currently requires students to pay their rent in
      three-yearly instalments (we weren’t sure if this is the case for all
      halls). This makes it very difficult for students, as not all students
      have funding and for those that do some are paid monthly making it
      difficult to pay in large instalments, particularly at the beginning of
      semester.

  8. Part Time Research
    Masters:

    1. Supervision issues. This particular
      supervisor has 16/17 students to supervise and therefore can not always
      give students regular supervisions and support.

    2. There is a
      general lack of links with the outside world. For example,
      there is little support or information provided regarding conferences,
      how to present papers at conferences, getting published, etc.

  9. Postgraduate
    Induction/training:

    1. A number of issues were raised regarding
      induction:

      1. Induction is a good way of meeting other
        PG students and socialising, especially if you are moving to Glasgow
        for the first time.

      2. Induction needs to be continuous
        throughout the year, not all crammed into a few days when you first
        matriculate.

      3. It is not
        clear what extra courses are available to postgraduate students. For
        example, a number of students expressed an interest in attending
        undergraduate units, staff training courses and postgraduate taught
        courses run by other faculties. At the moment admission to these
        courses appears to be done on an ad-hoc basis and it is not clear to PG
        students what they are and are not eligible for. A clearer system needs
        to be in place.

  10. Issues regarding
    PG student representation:

    1. A number of issues were raised regarding
      student representation both within departments and faculties and across
      the university:

      1. Poor
        communication between reps on faculty committees.

      2. Lack of
        information given to student reps. Eg: remit of committee, background
        info, etc.

      3. No code
        of practice or guidelines for student representation across the
        university or even within faculties.

      4. The
        approach to student representation is ad hoc across the whole
        university.

  11. The Creation of a
    Graduate School:

    1. A number of
      issues were raised:

      1. Concerns
        about increasing segregation between postgraduate students and staff

      2. Concerns
        about increasing segregation between the sciences and the arts,
        particularly for cross-disciplinary subjects.

      3. Concerns
        about office space – how will the new building be used? Will there be a
        common room? Will there be private office space?

      4. Has there
        been/will there be any student involvement in the design of this
        building?

      5. Opening
        hours of the building – will it be 24 hours?

  12. Other
    issues:

    1. Issues were raised regarding the direction
      of the university
      and whether it should be teaching or research
      led. Some students raised concern regarding the emphasis the Principle
      appears to place on teaching over research.

    2. The ‘Future
      Shape of the University’
      and ‘Blue Skies Thinking’ documents
      were very briefly outlined. The main points highlighted were:

      1. There is
        to be an increase in postgraduate students at the university with a
        reduction of undergraduates to compensate.

      2. There
        will be a Graduate School built to accommodate arts, education, law and
        social science students. The location of this building is unsure,
        although apparently it will be up and running by the end of 2006.

—- End of Formal Meeting at 14:00
Hours – Dr.Vassiliki and others had to leave and the discussion
continued with Srikant, Kristin, Hong, Rebecca, Mona, Gregor compiling
the priority lists of everyone in attendance. We were later joined by
Jim Ewing (of NPC) and SRC VP-Education and each of them described of
what the NPC and SRC provision for PG’s.
Please see above for what was enlisted
—-

1
Note from the note taker: Hopefully
these are a fairly accurate representation of what was discussed at the
meeting. In some cases I have put an issue as separate from the issues
raised by faculty representatives. This is because it was raised by a
faculty rep but it soon became evident it was relevant to a wider range
of students (eg: the graduate school). I have also cheekily added in a
section called ‘1st year PhD experiences’ – these are the
two issues I wanted to raise but didn’t get a chance to before I had to
leave



1st December 2004 – 48-Hours to
PG Voiceboard

“Setting the Ball Rolling”
Here is a list of issues/concerns/suggestions received over email for
the last few days. Thanks you lot. Everything is anonymous and could be
put in a Wiki in the future. Anyway, considering there are 3800+ PG
Students in our University, all of whom need to have thoughts and
skills to put them in writing (prequisite to write dissertations, no?),
a lot more is indeed expected. Rock it junta…

– The thing that bothers me is that PG
numbers have multiplied over the
last few years but the infrastructure and support has not to the same
proportions. If not anything, staff numbers have been cut. This means
that there is now greater fight for time with supervisors and
importantly, scholarships which breeds jealousy and creates inequality
thus leading to all possible recorded human problems. Proof? I should
cite the general apathy of students and unwarranted business because of
pressure if I may. In our department no one speaks or is bothered about
people in other groups. We only interact with people if they publish or
during those 10-minutes in the rare occassion they give a
presentation/seminar. We do not even have a proper mailing list to
share information and bounce ideas (like a paper one read recently)
off. Much needs to be done to have a more sharing and congenial
atmosphere. I do not know what I am saying and I prefer to be
anonymous. There are problems if we look at things closely but if my
equipment is OK, my funding is OK, my supervisor is OK, everything
should be OK. I am OK but am lucky to be so I would surmise. Anyways,
Good Luck!

– I think accomodation is high on my agenda.
Not cheaper accomodation
but how we have to go about getting a roof on our head in the first
place. For Masters students like me, coming over to Glasgow and spend
any more time finding accomodation just eats away into my fixed 1-year
time. And the University service and procedures to provide places is
not that good and efficient. They should improve numbers and just
saying that “we are sorry but you applied late” when I get the offer in
itself late does not reflect very well on international students who
will struggle in a new place. I cannot suggest a solution but atleast
for Masters students (sorry PhDs), accomodation provision should be
prioritised and better supported

– I was
extremely lucky with my supervision, accommodation etc and never had
any
of these problems here but many people I knew complained of lack of
office space for study and tutoring, lack of supervision and having to
wait ages to get pieces of work back, trying to fund your studies, and
often being treated like slave labour by your department, and lack of
community in what can be quite a lonely endeavour

– REQUEST FOR
COMFORTABLE CHAIRS: It would be more grateful if you could suggest to
the committee to raise the need for comfortable chairs in the
department for all PG students. Since we’ll all be here for at least
THREE years, I think this will only require a small portion of
university’s/department’s budget. As far as we are concern, working all
day long in front of our PCs or workstation might be very tiring. I
strongly believe that this request is important for the sake of phd and
research outcomes in this department

Let’s estimate the budget:
80 students x £50 per chair =
£4,000.00 only per 3 years

Or = £1334.00 per year
(£4000/3)


I’m generally very happy with my postgraduate life here and only have
two things that you might want to suggest for discussion:
1) Space
for Postgraduates in the University Library. Having shared too many
days with undergraduate students in the library, I would really
appreciate it if there was a designated area in the library for
postgraduates. I know space in the library is a problem and I know
there is a postgraduate study space in the Modern Languages Building.
Still, I think a postgraduate space in the library (which would be an
oasis of quiet and peace) would be great!
2) Introductory classes
for tutors. I know there are introductory classes for new tutors every
year at the beginning of the year. However, as far as I know, there is
nothing in the middle of the year. If you start in the middle of the
year, you are basically left to your own devices as to how to teach
seminars, etc. I believe that teaching is a vital part of our education
and would appreciate it if the university would offer more classes or
classes on a more regular basis. It would also be useful if the
facilities of the university regarding new tutor training were more
publicised. After I missed the class last year because I started in the
middle of the year, I wanted to enroll at the beginning of this term,
but could for the love of God not find any indication that such a class
actually took place
[BY] Elke Weissmann.
Department: Theatre, Film and Television

– I was accepted onto a part-time PG
course this year. Although
I do not
have a first degree
, by reason of
“life experience” and having written and published several papers at
International Conferences, it was clearly felt that I was capable of,
and warranted a postgrad place. In addition, I am disabled and a
“mature” student, and therefore assumed that policies of “social
inclusion” would ensure that I was not disadvanteged. How wrong I
was.

Although the Dept. of Work and Pensions
(DWP) accepted that I could
undertake the course without affecting my entitlement to benefit, no
funding was available through the SAAS or the PSAS. The AHRB would
accept an application, but informed me that without at least an Honours
degree I would not get any assistance from them. Requests to charitable
bodies and individuals met with negative responses. Selling a kidney
was, and indeed is being pursued, although this cannot take place in
the UK – and as a UK national, I face prosecution should I proceed with
such a course of action, and would be liable to a term of imprisonment!
I therefore had no option but to withdraw from the course.

As an
increasing number of people of my age group, who, like me did not have
the chance of a University education first time round are likely on the
“life experience” basis to be accepted straight into post grad
education, pressure needs to be put onto the University authorities and
indeed through them onto the Scottish Executive, to ensure that others
are not denied the opportunity for “life-long learning” as I have

[ANSWER] I noticed on our
website someone was on a PG couse wihthout a first degree and was
having problems with funding. Have they approached the OU for a first
degree? If they have enough ‘points’, they need only take one course
for graduation, then they can apply for PG funding



26th November 2004

“Call for Involvement in SRC Postgraduate Committee”


The Postgraduate Committee is a standing committee of the Student
Representative Council(SRC) and is concerned with representing the
interests of postgraduates at the University of Glasgow.


Being re-formed after 5 years, the aim of the Postgraduate Committee is
to act in the best interests of postgraduates by hearing to
suggestions, problems and questions relating to any aspect of their
work, play and life at any level of class, lab, department, faculty and
University. All topics discussed will be reported back to the SRC,
University brass and the National Postgraduate Committee(NPC) leading
to changes, motions and new policies being developed for the betterment
of postgraduates.


In other words, the Postgraduate Committee is THE official voice of
postgraduate students. Following an inclusive strategy, please accept
this e-mail as an invitation to join us, speak, discuss and make your
views count. It is a fresh start and everyone is invited!

Meeting: Friday, 3rd of December 2004, Williams Room in John
MacIntyre Building at 12:00 hrs
The first PG Committee Meeting will be an informal forum to to meet
other PG’s and discuss concerns but if you have any official reports to
be agendised, that is possible too. Light refreshments will be
provided. It will be an informal setting and so, bring your lunch packs
along.
If you cannot make it, please email your opinions and it will go on the
list. If you know anyone else who might be interested in this meeting,
do nominate him/her and spread the word through mailing lists or
department calendars or similar. Any case, please let us know your
availability to have an idea of numbers.
Contact: Srikant ‘naani’ Jakilinki – 07717748029 – sriks _a_
dcs.gla.ac.uk
Your first point of contact is the SRC Postgraduate Convener, Srikant.
Feel free to contact him regarding the meeting or anything postgraduate
matter related. In the spirit of openness, the full thread of the
postgraduate conveners’ activities is here in this post.
Anonymous communication is also accepted through all channels… Poster
is up –
SRC PG Voiceboard



23rd November 2004

Srikant,

Finally received this from Vice-Principal Morris. Would it be possible to have a meeting of the Postgrad Committee next week (Friday maybe) to discuss the issues?

John Andrew


-----Original Message-----
From: Jacqueline Ross
Sent: 23 November 2004 15:59
To: SRC President
Subject: RE: Postgraduate facilities

Good afternoon, message from Professor Chris Morris:
Dear John Andrew

I was referring at Court only to the Arts-side Territory plans, and would be happy to recieve any comments your convener might have on the matter, NOT of reviewing facilities at present but of what facilities we might wish to have in the future. As I have already asked for PG opinion to be gathered on the matter from each Graduate School via the Director of the Schools, it would be appropriate for him to direct any input via that route, in order to avoid duplication of effort. At the moment we are gathering 'blue skies' ideas and/or a 'vision' from each area together with the University Libary as part of a feasibility study being conducted in conjunction with Estates and Buildings. I am sure that the 'Focus Group' I am convening will welcome any further input from the postgraduate community via the Directors of the Graduate Schools.

Yours sincerely,
Chris Morris


-----Original Message-----
From: SRC President
Sent: 11 November 2004 23:38
Subject: Postgraduate facilities

Dear Professor Morris,

After hearing of the University's plans for reviewing facilities for postgraduates at Glasgow I contacted our new Postgraduates' Convenor, Srikant Jakilinki, and he is quite keen to gather PG opinion on the matter with a view to formulating SRC input. Would it be possible to have more detail on current thoughts/any plans on the matter?

Best wishes,
John Andrew


Oct 6th 2004

“SRC Elections, Voting, Manifesto et al.”

Students, Colleagues, Earthlings! (too Stalinisque?)
Thank you lads and lassies for nominating/sponsoring me to the SRC
Elections post of “PG Convener”. I hope you will all be voting. Not for
me if you do not like the manifesto or whatever but do use your
electoral privilages. That is more important. The voting is on 26th
October and will be fairly easy to spot all around our University. It
should be fun and a good experience. As all politicians end their
speeches, God Bless! If there is a debate or heckling (as they call it
here), I will let you know so that you can know your candidate
better…
Manifesto of Srikant ‘naani’ Anudeepla Vidyadhar
Jakilinki:

Apart from performing the duties stated in the job description (see
below) to the best of my abilities, I am clear about two things that I
want to start afresh. One is that I want to foster a more formal and
informal academic interaction among the PG’s of our University by
creating a channel for people to express themselves. This would involve
at the very least, publication of a digital newsletter created entirely
by the students on an open-source model.
Secondly, I want to set about a more congenial atmosphere between UG’s,
PG’s, Staff and the Public in which they appreciate one another and be
in a fruitful symbiotic relationship. Again, the flow of information
could be a possible solution and I want to achieve that through
open-days where PG’s could demonstrate their research in a festive
atmosphere (like poster displays) and inspire and get inspired from
everyone alike.

Postgraduates Convener Duties:
Represent your fellow postgraduates to the University Senate and
various University committees, as well as nationally through the
National
Postgraduate Committee. Ensure communication among all postgraduates
and other stakeholders of the University. The full description is here
just in case

Colophon: As long as you do not feel the same way as per the attachment,

vote for me. Even if so, vote for me 😉 See you all soon…
“Writing a manifesto is real hard work. Besides the political
correctness and substance, the sheer effort of writing a serious
document which deep inside you trust in is nerve racking”

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Issues via Email No Comments – 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Calendar

November 2004
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  

Tweets


%d bloggers like this: